LSAT Diary: More Than An LSAT Score

LSAT Blog Diary More Than LSAT Score
This LSAT Diary is from Adriana, who's studying for the December 2014 LSAT. Below, she shares her LSAT studying experience.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Please thank Adriana for sharing her story below in the comments!

***

Adriana's LSAT Diary:

I tend to think of myself as an “unconventional student.” Or at least I am now… I graduated in 2013 and got married (read: eloped) two weeks later. I then uprooted from California to move to Wisconsin with my husband (who was then in the military) and began working as a paralegal at a small law office – a miracle in the world of job placement, I might add.

From the beginning, the LSAT was kind of a shadow in my mind… I did quite well in undergrad, and while I don’t necessarily consider myself to be wildly intelligent, I do take for granted the certain ease I’ve always had with academics.

I began working full time shortly before I started studying for the LSAT (in part thanks to our secretary up and quitting on us, so I had to pick up the slack). I started out with the best of intentions – wanting to study a couple of hours every day; planning to take prep tests regularly, and at the same time as the actual test… all the things pretty much everyone starts out saying they will do. But it didn’t take too long for me to start letting “life” get in the way of my T14 aspirations.

Before I knew it, it was 1 month to the LSAT… then 2 weeks… then 1 week… and while I felt reasonably confident in my knowledge base, test anxiety started to creep in. This anxiety was compounded by my sneaking suspicion that I wasn’t anywhere near being fast enough to complete the sections in a timely manner.

Test day came… and I freaked out.

In the first section, I still had 8 questions left when they called time. In the next section, another 7, and at that point I entirely unraveled. Going back and looking at my test now, the only time I actually did well on a section was after the break halfway through the test. But even with that post-break calm, I still didn’t finish a single section of the test.

I walked away from the test feeling railroaded, only to have that feeling repeated three weeks later when my score came back and it was lower than my initial diagnostic. It took me not only out of the realm of T14, but almost out of top 30 contention entirely.

I spent about two days wallowing in my own anger and misery. Anger at myself for not taking the test more seriously. Anger for not realizing that my time management was basically non-existent before I took the test. Anger that I had seemingly failed not only myself, but also the professors who believe in me, my father who is my inspiration in all things, and my husband, who has been nothing but supportive through every step of my academic career.

Thankfully, even through what felt like one of the lowest points of my life (which may sound a little dramatic, but for someone who takes academics as seriously as I do, this was a gut-wrenching reality to face), I had plenty of people there to remind me that the score, no matter how bad it was, did not define me. Taking academics so seriously, I often lose sight of the fact that in my constant quest for perfection, achieving something less than perfect doesn’t take away from me as a person.

So this post is for all of you who have goals and aspirations as high as the stars, and who are struggling with maintaining focus; for all of those who have taken the test once and didn’t do as well as you were hoping to; for all of those who find some piece of self-worth in academic excellence, and feel devastated when said excellence is not achieved…

This post is to remind you that you are more than just a score, and that your law school career will be defined by your perseverance, not by your LSAT score. And perhaps, like me, part of that perseverance will be to face the test again – or perhaps it will be to make the best of what you got because you simply don’t have it in you to do it again.

No matter where the path takes you, remember; this is just a speed bump – it isn’t absolute failure. Absolute failure only comes when you give up – when you do nothing. But so long as you keep moving forward, you haven’t failed… and you never will.


Photo by bobaubuchon



7 comments:

  1. Adriana, thank you for sharing. I'm also an "unconventional student."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think being "unconventional" also makes us marketable to schools looking for some diversity ;) haha

      Delete
  2. For those of us perfectionists accustomed to a string of “A’s” on our undergraduate transcripts, the LSAT can stand as a fierce enemy, awakening us to the cutthroat competition of law school admissions. Simply put, T14 schools don’t have enough seats for all of us. The test is tough, but it conveys nothing more about us as students or people. Frankly, you probably learned more about yourself after taking the exam than the LSAC did.

    I’d urge you to take the LSAT again, this time with more disciplined preparation. If you again fall short, you’ll know that a T14 (or T30) school isn’t meant for you. Plenty of quality law schools stand in a lower tier. Your role as a “military bride” may also limit your options. That said, you may possess skills the LSAT can never measure. Remember, one Wisconsin lawyer saw an attribute that prompted him or her to hire you as a paralegal. Maybe a T14 admissions counselor will sense those qualities, too. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ensure the safety and security of your LinkedIn account https://dripify.io/features/extra-safety-algorithm/ with Dripify's advanced safety features. Dripify not only automates repetitive tasks on LinkedIn but also prioritizes safeguarding your account in 2024, allowing you to save valuable time for your business needs. It will also help you to improve your communication with your customers, providing them with reliable service. In addition, it can help you increase your business's revenue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The LSAT is a formidable test that challenges critical thinking and analytical skills, paving the way for a brighter academic and professional future. Its rigorous structure not only refines logical reasoning but also cultivates a mindset crucial for success in law. Embracing the LSAT journey is an empowering step toward honing one's intellectual prowess and navigating the complexities of legal discourse. Cheers to the LSAT for being a catalyst for growth and excellence in the legal realm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey LSAT enthusiasts, I came across a fantastic resource that aligns with our shared commitment to continuous learning. Considering the importance of health literacy in making informed decisions, I found these visual resources on health literacy images. They're not only insightful but also visually engaging, making complex concepts more accessible. In our pursuit of academic excellence, it's crucial to broaden our knowledge beyond LSAT. Health literacy is a vital skill that impacts our lives daily. Take a moment to explore these visuals and consider how enhanced health literacy can contribute to a more well-rounded education. Let's keep the intellectual exchange alive and support each other in our diverse learning journeys!

    ReplyDelete