LSAT Diary: December 2013 LSAT Success

LSAT Blog LSAT Diary December 2013 LSAT Success
This installment of LSAT Diaries comes from Jamie, who improved from 155 to 165 on the December 2013 LSAT after using my day-by-day LSAT study plan.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Thanks to Jamie for sharing her experience and advice!

Jamie's LSAT Diary:

Studying for the LSAT is not easy, but it is very rewarding. I realized this in the two and a half months I spent preparing for the December 2013 test.

At first I felt very overwhelmed and didn't know where to start. I kept reading about prep courses and I felt tempted to enroll in one. But they seemed too expensive so I decided to try to find other ways to study. Fortunately, I came across Steve's blog and read everything on it. After that I felt like I could really do it on my own. I bought the 3-month study plan, although I had only two and a half months until test day. English is my second language so I had the feeling that I have a disadvantage from the very beginning. On top of that, the LSAT was the first standardized test I ever had to take. So it was definitely a challenge.

The second day after I bought the study plan I put everything else in my life on hold. I was determined to give it my best shot, especially because retaking it was not an option. I followed the plan almost religiously, I bought everything that Steve recommended and did all of the optional tasks. I enjoy self-study but in the past I always knew someone else who was studying for the same thing and I could turn to them for advice. This time I did not know anyone who was taking or had taken the LSAT. Steve's blog came again to the rescue. I discovered the LSAT Diaries and I felt part of a strong community.

While I was prepping, I was very eager to start taking the full tests. The sections felt somewhat easy, but I knew the real thing would be far more difficult. After taking several full tests, I was a little disappointed because I averaged in the high 150s. I had a pretty hard time on RC. I knew it was because I'm not a native English speaker but I was determined to overcome this handicap. I started taking the tests in the morning, then I would take a break for 3 or 4 hours and then review. I studied every wrong question and tried to fully understand why I made a mistake. My favorite part was LG, I had a lot of fun studying the strategies and cracking the games. I think it's easy to enjoy them and improve your performance.

By the time December came, my average test score was 160. I went to the test center feeling a lot of pressure but at the same time I was satisfied with my efforts. When the test was over, I sincerely could not evaluate myself. I spent one month waiting for the results and not knowing what to expect. I ended up getting 165 and I am very proud. I got just one question wrong on LG but RC was a different story. I think this happened especially because I was excited when I was working on the LG section but on the RC I was very nervous. My advice to future test takers would be to try to make every section enjoyable because your mindset plays a huge part on the test day.

Photo by bobaubuchon



2 comments:

  1. Way to go! You should be proud of your accomplishment, Jamie. What an improvement. 165 with English as a second language! It's understandable that RC would be your hardest section. Its vocabulary is challenging even to those of us for whom the language is second nature. My prediction is that some high-powered law schools will be seeking out your application. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Best of luck to you too!

      Delete